Two of my friends have resolved to be more positive this semester. I would follow suit except I’m guaranteed to break that resolution in less than 5 hours. Attempting to be more cheerful is a more reasonable goal. I’ve been singing “You’re Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile” on and off for the last few days, annoying everyone. I feel infinitely better. Some self-saucing chocolate cake for breakfast doesn’t hurt either. Have the recipe and make some yourself! The girls devoured this last night, leaving clean bowls and well-licked spoons even after a rather large and delicious dinner that they made.
Hot Fudge Cake
This cake seems basic, and it is, but it is also magic, resulting in cake that floats gently on a pool of molten chocolate pudding.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Or don’t. Serves 4 (because you’ll want seconds).
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 + 4 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 cups boiling water
1. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and 1 tablespoon of cocoa in a bowl. Stir in milk and melted butter. Spread in an ungreased 8×8 cake pan.
2. Combine brown sugar and 4 tablespoons of cocoa. Spread over cake batter.
3. Pour boiling water carefully over the mixture in the pan. DO NOT STIR.
4. Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 45-50 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and the top looks firm. Let cool for 10 minutes so you don’t totally burn your mouth.
5. Serve hot/warm over ice cream or whipped cream.